Friday, December 10, 2010

First Semester Artist Statement

“What’s wrong with a little fantasy to show the way things ought to be? Why should I comply to the silly limits of real life?” Val Emmich

As an artist, I have grown to appreciate the ability to create artwork that reflects my idealistic personality. If I had my way, all colors would be pleasant, all work would be inspirational, and everyone would appreciate the beauty of simplicity. Throughout my time as an art student, I have found that I love to depict emotions through images or phrases that are simplistic in nature. I believe that sometimes simplicity is underrated, because it lacks the complexity that some think is the key to success. However, I have found that even the simplest of things are complex if portrayed in the right way.

Often times, an artist’s work is a parallel to their own personalities, which is why most of my work tends to illustrate romantic visions and sometimes my frustration with uncertainty. One of my favorite pieces is a self-portrait, titled “Simple I will be”, that is a combination of photography and hands-on application. I think that the colors and brush stroke effect on the photo depict my personality as both an artist and as a musician. I chose to add strips of blossom patterns to break up the melancholy mood of the piece, and show that although I am often reflective, I always have hope. Another favorite piece of mine is one titled “The Vintage Heart”, which was inspired by the idea that I am an “old soul”. I used several mediums to combine both my “mature” personality, with the reality that I am only a teenager.

At his point in my artistic career, I am merely beginning to find my niche in the art world. I have found that I am most enthusiastic about idealistic images, and hope to continue to strengthen my ability to express them. I believe that art is the perfect way to escape the “silly limits of real life”.

No comments:

Post a Comment